How to Apply to Join or Support the Society of Animal Artists
For Artist Membership or Patron Membership
Thank you for your wanting to join the Society of Animal Artists (SAA). The Society is a world-renowned organization that has become the standard bearer of excellence in the field of animal art and within the greater fine art community. The Society of Animal Artists was founded in 1960 by the late Patricia Allen Bott and Guido Borghi, two visionaries who sought to reposition animal art as an important contemporary art form by creating a community of like-minded artists. Since its inception, the Society has grown by leaps and bounds and has generated tremendous response through its museum and gallery exhibitions. The annual Art and the Animal exhibition and tour are eagerly awaited events in the art world and provide our artists with the opportunity for greater recognition. To apply for artist membership or to support the SAA as a patron is easy. Select the appropriate form below and submit your application materials by the deadline: SUBMISSION DEADLINES for artist membership each year: January 15th and June 15th at 5PM EST (It is advisable NOT to wait until the last minute in case your application has any issues!). Notification results will be emailed out before the end of January or June period.
– Artist membership is currently determined by jury twice a year. Patron memberships are accepted year round (PDF form below). The artist’s membership online form is at the bottom of this page.
– The Society currently does not consider photography, digitally generated art or purely illustrative work, for membership applications. SAA Jurors are usually not able to respond with critiques to artist whose work has been declined. They will try when requested to do so but make no guarantees.
– Former members should contact the office for how to rejoin the Society.
– If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by phone or email. We look forward to receiving your application and hope you will be joining us.
The Society is a 501(c)3 charitable organization. All contributions are tax deductible.
The Society invites individuals and corporations to support us in our efforts by becoming Contributing Members. For those with a love of the animal kingdom and the art that celebrates it, Society patronage is an ideal way in which to contribute to the development of this important contemporary fine art form.
Contributing Members are entitled to the following benefits:
– All Society Newsletters and Annual Exhibition catalogs
– Invitation to attend annual exhibition opening seminars, presentations and Artists’ Reception for member and one guest
– Acknowledgment in the Annual Exhibition catalog
– Opportunity to sponsor individual art awards
Contributing Membership is available in four categories:
– Patron Member $150-$299 – All of the benefits described above.
– Sponsoring Member $300-$999 – All of the benefits of a Patron Member plus admission for member and one guest to the Annual Member’s Award Banquet at no charge.
– Sustaining Member $1000-$4,999 – All of the benefits of a Sponsoring Member plus admission for two to all Member activities with a cost during the Annual Exhibition at no charge.
– Partner Member $5,000+ – All of the benefits of a Sustaining Member plus an expanded acknowledgment in the Annual Exhibition catalog.
Artist membership in the Society of Animal Artists, Inc. is by jury, composed of artist members serving as volunteers on the Board of Directors. The Membership Jury meets twice a year. Applicants may be elected to either Signature or Associate membership. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the Society’s established deadlines and meeting dates, applicants are not able to submit to the Annual Exhibition until the following year!
Membership benefits include the ability to submit to the SAA’s Annual Exhibition and SAA regional shows; SAA newsletters and communications; listing on the SAA website and catalog; promotion via our social media platforms; participation in lectures, presentations, workshops, and meetings; access to SAA Team Partner discounts and special offers; attendance at SAA receptions and award banquets; SAA outings, field trips and more!
Signature Member: Signature members are considered full members of the Society and are granted all privileges of Society membership. They are recognized as having attained the highest level of ability in the field of animal art and consistently uphold the Society’s standards of excellence. They are entitled to vote in Society matters and use the initials “S.A.A.” when signing artwork.
Associate Member: Associate members are granted many of the privileges of Society membership and are eligible to submit work to all exhibitions. Associates may not vote in Society matters or use the initials “S.A.A.” when signing artwork. Associates may become Signature Members by jury vote or if entries are accepted into three Annual Exhibitions at which time they must pay an initiation fee. Associates are promoted to Signature members in the event that they receive the Award of Excellence in an Annual Exhibition.
Dues and Fees Payable Upon Acceptance: Associate Members & Signature Members Initiation Fee: $100.00 Annual Dues: $160.00 TOTAL: $260.00. (DO NOT PAY THESE AMOUNTS UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE FORMAL JURY NOTIFICATION!). NOTE: In order to secure your membership, all dues and fees must be received within 30 days of notification. Membership materials will be mailed to you upon receipt of payment.
Artists READ BEFORE You Submit!
The following is a list of criteria that our jury considers when viewing an applicant’s work:
* Is this an example of ‘fine art’?
* Is the piece well-drawn? Or skillfully carved, sculpted, or assembled?
* Does the work have a creative and effective composition or abstract design?
* Does the artist display a mastery of the medium?
* If 2-D, is there a demonstrated mastery in the depiction of light? Use of color and Value?
* If 3-D, is there a clear mastery of form? Control of surface texture? Patina? And is the piece effective from all angles?
The SAA likes to see artistic ability to place your subjects in a proper environment, rather than simply creating portraits. Most competent artists can create a good portrait from a photograph, but that doesn’t provide us with the information as to whether that artist actually KNOWS that animal and understands both anatomy and behavioral characteristics, and the proper environment. These are important to our SAA mission of education regarding the species our members depict in their artwork. Is there something about the artwork that is special or unique and not just an average depiction of an animal? Please NOTE – our jurors see an overabundance of “portraits” so expect these to be judged more critically. If in doubt, please email our Executive Director prior to submitting as he is willing to give you an opinion beforehand.
A Word About What Makes Good Wildlife Art (PDF from an SAA Juror for guidance)
Artist Member Application Form
PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW THESE STEPS … AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR ACCURACY!
STEP ONE: Fill in all information requested below
STEP TWO: Jury is by digital images ONLY- with two views required for each 3D artwork. Filenames must include artist’s last name and the image number corresponding with the information on the application form (Example: Jones-Image1). For 3D artwork, add A or B after the image number for view A or view B (Example: Smith-Image1A). Images should be 300 dpi, no more than 8” (2400 pixels) at widest dimension and in JPEG format. When ready, email your artwork images to: email@example.com
STEP THREE: Jury Fee: The $40.00 jury fee may be paid by check* or money order and mailed. Or, you may pay via PayPal by clicking on the blue PayPal logo at the bottom of this page. For the description, enter: “Application payment for YOUR NAME”. If paying by check (U.S. Dollars only via a US bank) mail to: Society of Animal Artists, 5451 Sedona Hills Drive, Berthoud, CO 80513. (Please mail your check in time for it to arrive PRIOR to the deadline!)
*Our bank charges $40.00 for processing international checks. If you are an international artist and do not have a US bank account for check writing, use PayPal to pay your dues.
NOTE! You should receive an immediate confirmation of your submission by this page reloading after you click the button. You will also receive an email confirmation from the SAA Executive Director that your application and payment have been received. The confirmation email should come within 24 hours or a week if the Director is away – please contact the SAA if you don’t receive any confirmation! We would rather you take that extra step to be sure! Our jury meets typically the week after the deadlines noted above and notifications are sent out within 48 hours of the jury. Again, please contact the SAA if you haven’t heard anything since emails can go into spam folders!.