How to Apply to Join or Support the Society of Animal Artists
Thank you for your wanting to join the Society of Animal Artists (SAA). The Society is a world-renowned organization that has become the standard bearer of excellence in the field of animal art and within the greater fine art community. The Society of Animal Artists was founded in 1960 by the late Patricia Allen Bott and Guido Borghi, two visionaries who sought to reposition animal art as an important contemporary art form by creating a community of like-minded artists. Since its inception, the Society has grown by leaps and bounds and has generated tremendous response through its museum and gallery exhibitions. The annual Art and the Animal exhibition and tour are eagerly awaited events in the art world and provide our artists with the opportunity for greater recognition. To apply for artist membership or to support the SAA as a patron is easy. Select the appropriate form below and submit your application materials by the deadline: SUBMISSION DEADLINES for artist membership: April 15, 2020 and September 15, 2020.
– Please note that Artist membership is only determined by jury twice a year, in the Spring and Fall. All other types of membership are accepted year round. The online artist’s membership form is at the bottom of this page.
– Please note that the Society currently does not consider photography, digitally generated art or purely illustrative work, for membership applications. SAA Jurors are NOT able to respond with critiques to artist whose work has been declined.
– If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by phone or email. We look forward to receiving your application and hope you will be joining us.
– The Society is a 501(c)3 charitable organization. All contributions are tax deductible.
The Society invites individuals and corporations to support us in our efforts by becoming Contributing Members. For those with a love of the animal kingdom and the art that celebrates it, Society patronage is an ideal way in which to contribute to the development of this important contemporary fine art form. The Society is a 501(c)3 charitable non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible.
Contributing Members are entitled to the following benefits:
– All Society Newsletters and Annual Exhibition catalogs
– Invitation to attend annual exhibition opening seminars, presentations and Artists’ Reception for member and one guest
– Acknowledgment in the Annual Exhibition catalog
– Opportunity to sponsor individual art awards
Contributing Membership is available in four categories:
– Patron Member $150-$299 – All of the benefits described above.
– Sponsoring Member $300-$999 – All of the benefits of a Patron Member plus admission for member and one guest to the Annual Member’s Award Banquet at no charge.
– Sustaining Member $1000-$4,999 – All of the benefits of a Sponsoring Member plus admission for two to all Member activities with a cost during the Annual Exhibition at no charge.
– Partner Member $5,000+ – All of the benefits of a Sustaining Member plus an expanded acknowledgment in the Annual Exhibition catalog.
Artist membership in the Society of Animal Artists, Inc. is by jury, composed of artist members serving as volunteers on the Board of Directors. The Membership Jury meets twice a year. Applicants may be elected to either Signature or Associate membership. PLEASE NOTE: Due to the Society’s established deadlines and meeting dates, applicants are not able to submit to the Annual Exhibition until the following year!
Membership benefits include: Ability to submit to the SAA’s Annual Exhibition and SAA regional shows; SAA newsletters and communications; listing on the SAA website and catalog; promotion via our social media platforms; participation in lectures, presentations, workshops and meetings; access to SAA Team Partner discounts and special offers; attendance at SAA receptions and award banquets; SAA outings, field trips and more!
Signature Member: Signature members are considered full members of the Society and are granted all privileges of Society membership. They are recognized as having attained the highest level of ability in the field of animal art and consistently uphold the Society’s standards of excellence. They are entitled to vote in Society matters and use the initials “S.A.A.” when signing artwork.
Associate Member: Associate members are granted many of the privileges of Society membership and are eligible to submit work to all exhibitions. Associates may not vote in Society matters or use the initials “S.A.A.” when signing artwork. Associates may become Signature Members by jury vote or if entries are accepted into three Annual Exhibitions at which time they must pay an initiation fee. Associates are promoted to Signature members in the event that they receive the Award of Excellence in an Annual Exhibition.
Dues and Fees Payable Upon Acceptance: Associate Members & Signature Members Initiation Fee: $100.00 Annual Dues: $160.00 TOTAL: $260.00. (DO NOT PAY THESE AMOUNTS UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE FORMAL JURY NOTIFICATION!). NOTE: In order to secure your membership, all dues and fees must be received within 30 days of notification. Membership materials will be mailed to you upon receipt of payment.
Artist Member Application Form
STEP ONE: Fill in all information requested below
STEP TWO: Jury is by digital images ONLY- with two views required for each 3D artwork. Filenames must include artist’s last name and the image number corresponding with the information on the application form (Example: Jones-Image1). For 3D artwork, add A or B after the image number for view A or view B (Example: Smith-Image1A). Images must be 300 dpi, no more than 8” at widest dimension and in JPEG format. When ready, email your artwork images to: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP THREE: Jury Fee: The $40.00 jury fee may be paid by check or money order and mailed. Or, you may pay via PayPal by clicking on the blue PayPal logo at the bottom of this page. For the description, enter: “Application payment for YOUR NAME”. If paying by check (U.S. Dollars only) mail to: Society of Animal Artists, 5451 Sedona Hills Drive, Berthoud, CO 80513.
NOTE! You should receive an immediate confirmation of your submission by this page reloading after you click the button. You will also receive an email confirmation from the SAA Executive Director that your application and payment have been received. (The confirmation email should come within 24 hours or a week if the Director is away – please contact the SAA if you don’t receive any confirmation! We would rather you take that extra step to be sure! The date of our jury is typically 2-3 weeks after the deadlines noted above and notifications are sent out within 48 hours of the jury. Again, please contact the SAA if you haven’t heard anything since emails can go into spam folders!). Please also note, if your application is declined, that our jurors do not have the time to respond to applicants with critiques.